Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Send off the search mission..as Celine Dion would say "I'm alive"


I know I know I know I AM SO SORRY I HAVE DISAPPEARED
But let me assure you I have been collecting stories and tales to share with you all and living the life I thought only possible in dreams.
A week ago I regained full control back over my life after having given it to the big, bad SIT for the 2 previous months.
Thus far I cannot say enough how much I love having independence and planning abilities back in my life.
So what have I been doing with my time? Well I moved into my house, fraternity, last week and am loving having my own room, own closet, semi full length mirror and window with a view of Table Mountain to lock myself and watch tv in by myself, like real college again!
As for the 4 boys occupying my kitchen constantly, it hasn’t been what I would call neat, but it is definetly tolerable and a small sacrifice for such great housemates.
This past weekend we had a braai, barbeque, and all hung on the couches in our expansive courtyard/ parking area, outside the steps to each house.
Some personal highlights of the past weeks events:
Watched American History X- a movie on my to watch list for the past 5 years, finally got around to. Some fucked up shit if I do say so myself, but honestly so fascinating I had to watch it all- yes all, even that scene, yes, horrific.
Back to cooking which has been fantastic.
Starting watching United States of Tara- loving it thus far, unbelievable that such a disease exists and Toni Collette just kills it.
Shower all the time- we have absurdly incredible water pressure in this house and I just want to shower every second of every day now, which has not been something I have EVER wanted to do!
Also summer is officially here! So beach days will soon become a thing...I know- what is my life? sorry i'm not sorry.
So that pretty much sums up my daily life these days- shower, cook and watch movies all day and then for the nighttimes….
Well now that you ask! I will finally tell you what my independent study is on.
So if you don’t know the way this program works is that after the past 2 months of having every second of every day planned for us, we now have a whole month on our own to study a topic of our choice and fill our days as we please and see best fit for our ISP. I have chosen to study music in Cape Town by going to concerts all around the city and suburbs and seeing how the genre of music correlates with the demographic of the crowd by looking at their race, gender, age, etc. So I began this that excellent night I had in Stellenbosch at Bohemia, remember that post?, and since then just going to as much live music as I can find out about. Last night I went to an open mic night in Obz, as Gaby says “as close as you’ll get to a liberal arts community in Cape Town” and my favorite neighborhood by a far. Some good acts, some not so good but still very interesting to see who was there and what people were singing about. I also saw Searching for Sugarman yesterday and if you haven’t seen it yet, GO SEE IT! An unbelievable, like actually unable to be believed story about a singer named Rodriguez. And yes if you have already seen it, I plan to visit the record shop immediately and have already emailed Sugar to set up an interview/ life talk. So that’s basically what I get to spend this month doing, apparently we need some academic support, but ill probably not do that part knowing myself. It has been a bit challenging to motivate myself to do this project and not just go to karaoke as a form of live music on some nights (last night I did a performance of Macy Gray’s famous I Try that had the crowd clapping along, a beautiful moment for me). But now I’m really into and just excited to see as much music as possible in my last 5 weeks, I know I cant believe it either, here.
I really feel like I live here these days also. Like to get to wake up and just transport yourself to a lunch spot of your choice, with one person is such an underrated reality and something I have not been able to do for so long. I also think I just appreciate and need my independence much more than others on my program and thrive on using public transportation to a small event, that I found out about through word of mouth.

i'll put some pics up of my frat house soon as soon as I take them. go play in the snow for me northeast friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment