Thursday, November 29, 2012

Homework: My Lifelong battle

So we have to turn in our 40 page paper on whatever we did for our ISP's over the past month this afternoon at 6pm. It is just a draft but still lets get this shit done. I have been the most unmotivated person ever and am just starting now. T-4 hours to complete it. No problem- the words are flowing right now, actually I am just using my journal entries from the past 4 weeks and typing up my favorite bits and copy and pasting it all together and hoping for the best. I loved my project and learned some awesome shit about live music in Cape Town, I just don't feel like writing this stupidly structured paper they want with their stupid sections and bullshit. So I am just doing a classic "free write", which is just writing! God- why must we seperate writing into categories, its all the same if you have a brain and care about the words you're putting into the universe- fine, fine, another time, another battle.
Ok so I'm taking a break to eat my delicious egg sandwich I just whipped up (fluffy scrambled with shredded white cheddar and a perfectly ripe avocado sliced thinly, that I stole from the fridge- oops) and have decided to write to you cadets about whats up.
Here is my intro, I found it in my journal from a few weeks back. Brilliant words Brenna, really great.
Enjoy!

Its been 4 weeks of concerts almost every night, observing crowds and meeting some of the coolest people I have every encountered. My beliefs as music as a way to send a message have stayed true, however my belief of music as a bridge has not yet reached the minds and hearts of all Capetonians. In society art is somehow considered a less legitimate, responsible and productive career and lifestyle choice as compared to banking, law and politics. I am not stating this fact because I believe it, but because it is the belief of many motivational, wealthy people in this world and is a part of the world I was raised in. I do not understand why this is a thing because I would love to see one lawyer change the mindsets and inspire people to change the world as effectively as the lyrics of Bob Dylan, images by Andy Warhol and stories of J.D. Salinger. Art is a gateway to sending a message and a path much more approachable and understandable to many minds than anything written on a document for old men to sign in a government office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment