Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bo Kaap- 4 hours in....

Here I am using my last megabites of my internet stick on you readers. I guess I feel bad I have been so out of touch lately. The amount of things to be accomplished in the next week is unfathomable.
1. find an apartment and housemates- drama central! its times like these I wish I had friends
2. pick classes that are not just homestays and field trips and random miscellaneous lectures at Skid next semester
3. write a proposal for my ISP- I still have to update you on that, maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone (I turn in these blog posts for assignments all the time anyway)
4. Survive one last home stay....speaking of:
So I arrived after being humiliated once again on the absurd amount of luggage I brought on this trip at my home for the next 12 nights.
Wait I need to back up- I have been FREAKING out about this homestay more than all of the others because Bo Kaap is the muslim community of Cape Town, they are called "Cape Malay" and eat indian-like food. Don't know if I have made this clear over my past 20 years but I HATE INDIAN FOOD! Cannot. Will not. Won't even attempt to consume it. keep that in mind...
So at our family meet and greet at the local elementry school, which we do before each homestay, I attempted to try some of the foods I knew I would have to taste at the table, before I downed the apples, peanut butter and cookies I have packed in my suitcase. Somosas aren't my thing and do not make me jump and squeel as they do to others of this program, but they are swallowable. As we a few other items I tried. As soon as we got home dinner was served- the moment of truth- and it was a success! Meat and potatoes with rice. I went heavy on the rice and low on the sauce, but I cleaned my plate, politely refused seconds and felt no nausea! WOOOO!!!! Conflict avoided! Now as for the two, size of my arm, Ox tounges on the stove for the party tomorrow......eeeekkk.
Oh so tomorrow is their Christmas and my mom told me we are having the entire family over and eating all day and then going to see the 40 sheep across the street be slaughtered and then eat them for dinner. Just your average Friday here in Bo Kaap. I unfortunately have school, even though she said she would tell him I was "sick" if I wanted to stay- does this woman know me or what?!?- but I will be back in time for the sheep slaughter ceremony. I'm like weirdly excited about it. Dont know why- never really seen an animal slaughtering and after I missed my opportunity to kill a chicken in the rural village, I feel that I cannot miss this! Its not like you have the options everyday!
I'm sorry I promised myself this post would be shorter!
So fam is great- just me and the mom and dad in the house. Small, but not too small- I have my own room with a tv above my bed (currently watching Meet the Fockers). Balcony with a view of the entire city bowl, downtown Cape Town, water on one side, full view of Table Mountain on the other. Honestly the best view I have seen yet of that monstrous mountain. I live on the street we meet on for the bus and Bo Kaap is hillier than San Francisco so I could not be happier with my location. During dinner the grandkids came over- twin 12 year old girls. Just hilarious, so typical pre-teen, they want everything they can't/ don't have including my nail polish, curly hair and beer (they do not drink alcohol and nail polish is banned). She also already gave me the key and was like pushing me to go to Long St cause it is so close- something I was very nervous about because we heard some parents can be very strict and anti-partying. Also! Another cool thing is that this family always gets the Skidmore kids! How cool is that! There are just random pics of graduated seniors and vaguely familiar faces around the house! Go Skid! This is just a perfect situation- she is so open to cultures, loves learning about other people, knows more about Judaism that I do and is famous for baking all the time. She also always takes her students to the waterfront and to the movies and feels that the 12 days go too fast.
Let the good times roll! (and the sheeps slaughter silently)


Oh also- my mom just brought me a mug of the best hot chocolate I have ever had and is making me a nutella sandwich for lunch tomrorow. never. leaving. bo kaap.

view from my Balcony at night. (look close and you can see table mountain)

No comments:

Post a Comment