Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend Update

Shockingly enough I do not have a crazy omg story with a billion exclamation points and over-exaggeration to share with you fools today. I had quite an average, albeit epic, weekend. Felt very similar to college life.
Started off Friday with dinner with Grace and Vicky, my skidgirls, took a break from my "real world" trip and went to a Halloween party at a American study abroad house, really mansion/ frat. Have myself a grand ol time- Gaby and I dressed up as Lucille 2 and Buster from Arrested Development. Why do you even ask! Of course I played Liza Minnelli! After that explored Long St til the early hours of Saturday morning and treated myself to the Biscuit Mill Saturday with Vicky. Ran into ol' Uncle Matt and Aunt Marie all the way from Philadelphia there, my moms family who is visiting South Africa and I was planning on seeing that night for din, but got an early hello! Ate my way through the world's most incredible market one more time and spent the rest of the day pretending to do homework with friends downtown. Went to din with Matt and Marie and their friends Saturday night at RoundHouse, one of Cape Town's most fabulous dining establishments, really a wedding venue, and enjoyed at 4 courses and accompanying wine.
So you're probably thinking at this point, when are you at this new homestay you've just moved into.....yea so about that. I literally just cannot eat Indian/ Malay food, so I do avoid all meal times. I come home for dessert and enjoy the corn flakes for breakfast. But I feel like vomiting at the table is probably more offensive than just skipping the meal altogether. I really wish I could eat and enjoy it, cause I find food an incredible way to bond with a new family, but I just cannot consume it. Sunday afternoon I popped in for a few hours after eating lunch downtown and enjoyed some fruit salad with whipped cream. I also ate one donut that she made me 8 of- it was like brown and covered in syrup and coconut so I thought ooh yea! Something I may be able to eat! wrong. tasted like straight up curry (or whatever all those rust colored spices are, I just call them all curry).
Also! The hair straightening event that I ran into Friday afternoon is a huge deal! They are obsessed with straightening their hair. Like half the girls on my program have their hair done by their moms and sisters everyday! In my one hour at home yesterday, 45 minutes of it was spent doing my hair as if I was headed to prom! Crazy- but honestly I don't hate it.
At school today- apartment hunting this afternoon. Options are 2 bedroom in Obz (hippie, student, west-village esque neighborhood) or 8 bedroom house with Tori and all 6 boys (a.k.a The Real World: Cape Town). I'll let you know!

Stay dry NYC! Freaking out for you/ jealous cause I never got school cancelled Halloween week for a Hurricane. HOUSE PARTY TONIGHT AT THE GOLDSTEINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment