Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blowing in the Wind/ Rock You Like a Hurricane

First and formost- I am currently in class freaking out, reading articles, looking at pics and COMMANDING ALL OF YOU IN NYC AND AROUND TO STAY THE FUCK INSIDE. Just don't go outside, and you'll be fine.....right? Ok good! So thats settled, you're staying inside until the skies are blue and trees are firmly in the ground.

As for little ol' me- yesterday night I had my own version of a light Hurricane/ Tornado when some friends and I decided to hike Lion's Head Mountain for the full moon rising and Meredith's birthday. Of course I was dredding it, but there is no length I won't go to for a birthday. Packed my champagne and headed on up. Although most of our parents advised us not to go because of the high winds, and even at the base of the mountain we were nearly falling over- FULL SPEED AHEAD! LETS DO IT!
quick photo break
(oh yea I wore a headlamp...oh so hiking girl of me)
So off we went up the never ending dirt incline, to the rocks, to the ladders, to the chains that I grasped for dear life. With stops every 5 minutes to fight the sand flying into our eye sockets and wind blowing us into rocks, it took us a little while, but we eventually made it up some distance- we had no intention of reaching the top. Once reaching the metal bars where you rock climb up a straight incline, which is right before the final steep rock slimbing to reach the peak, everyone told us to turn around. It was nearly sunset and they said you could barely move up there and to find a nice spot to watch this sun down, moon up situation that had brought me to this location.

Sun setting
now turn around....
and Moon Rising! Crazy shit.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I can be a bit of a drama queen and tend to over exaggerate  but let me assure you that everyone I encountered on the mountain did. Those 5 minute stops due to high winds, were each met with high pitched screams and cries. Then shit started getting real, I literally almost fell of the mountain twice and decided I could easily see myself dying on this mountain. So i decided to make a video....a goodbye video...to everyone I have ever known, my family and friends advising them never to hike and that I have enjoyed my life and was peacing out on a mountain. Never a way I intended to go out, but hey shit happens. So thankfully that didn't happen as I am writing this blog and made it down, just a sprained ankle and ears full of sand. I am attaching the video because I need you to understand the gravity of these winds and get that I am really only partly exaggerating and really it was quite terrifying, but also thrilling. Ignore my screams and enjoy.





IN CASE I DIDNT SAY IT ENOUGH, STAY INSIDE EVERYONE IN NYC AND IN THE STORM! YOU CAN LOOK AT PICTURES ONLINE AND SAY YOU TOOK THEM, NO NEED TO HAVE AN IPHONE SHOT OF YOUR DEATH! STAY INSIDE!




some classic shots:

so you're thining "woah cool lighting"...my new obsession,
I call it headlamp photography. 
if you're not taking selfies at sunset
what are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment