Friday, October 12, 2012

Reality Check


As we drove into town and the students in my car exclaimed, “Does this remind you of South Carolina?”, “Aww! I miss my cows”, “Wow this looks just like home”- it hit me. I have never been in a place so far from home. Physically yes, South Africa is the farthest georgraphic location I have ever been to. But in terms of what I was seeing, it was unlike anything I had seen before. No rural Vermont, upstate NY or even vineyards of Italy could compare to the amount of grass, rolling hills and space in front of my eyes. So that was where I was going in. After a slight panic attack and encouragement from my friends- I loaded up my backpacks (yes one on front, one on back cause its cool!) and walked up the dirt road to our house. Or should I say Rondevills- a traditional one room, xhosa home, which is- you guessed it!- round and one room! Sidney and I were partnered together for this homestay which was great- we both share a love for cereal, 18 year old annoying and amazing brothers and a common understanding that showering is not necessary. We met our amazing family, mom Nozuko (I know weird that that is the same name as my Langa mom, but entirely different women- much more loving and traditional xhosa), sisi Imange- 3 and an adorable pest- and Pabama, our incredible 11 year old brother who is awesome and going to be the worlds greatest entertainer one day if he isn’t already. After our first massive meal, it was time to all tuck in for bed at 7pm. But wait gotta pee first, ok no toilet, no problem. We were introduced to the green bucket- which I waited to see others use before going for it. Quite simple really, except the American in me, immediately asked if I should go outside, to which I was laughed at. So I went for it and sat on the green, medium sized, beach bucket. As I began to pee, Imange ran over to continue our patty cake game from earlier. It was that moment, as Sidney cracked up in bed watching, that I let go of all expectations of the next week. I was in a new world. A world with no toilets, outhouses though, no running water in the house, no roads, minimal waste, no hair washing, yet TVs, cell phones and lots of Beyonce. You’ll have to read my journal for the daily activities- the synopsis being lots of movie watching, great soccer games with the boys from the village and me as a cheerleader- with the most cliché “study abroad in Africa” pictures possible-, 12 hours of sleep a night, a 3 am excursion to the outhouse with 4 cows, a chicken slaughtering, lots of cooking and an eye opening high school visit. Then there was today. I woke up yesterday morning, on our last full day a bit earlier than usual with stomach pains pushing me towards to outhouse at 7am. That was the beginning. The beginning to 7 hours of outhouse visits- got to see em all pretty much- and a good old welcome to sickness in the village! So I stayed in a hotel last night in the town, 30 minutes away, with my program directors, in a bed, steps from a toilet and happy as a clam. Showered finally and got re-intouch with the outside world.
So in a sentence- if possible for me- as much as I loved my family, seeing first hand how the majority of the world lives and experiencing things I never thought possible, I do not think I am cut out or would be happy in a rural home. I am grateful for the experience and learned a ton, but the beautiful scenery was not enough reason to rough it for any longer.
I am very happy to be back in civilization. We are off to Buccaneers- a beach resort, 3-night vaca- until Sunday. Just arrived here and it is awesome. Beach volleyball and free wine at 4. Mexican Feast at 7. Drumming night tonight and the cliché Club Med esque events just keep on going. Tomorrow I am deciding between yoga and massages at the Beautification Boutique or attempting surfing.
Peace out Tshabo. Its been all too real. 

me and my mama makin some bread dough.

cliche study abroad in africa pics 

trampled by love
soccer star of Tshabo

my home for 6 nights. fav color!!!!

FAM SHOT!!!
From left: me, Pabama (11 and cooler than me), mama (Nozuko) with Imange (smelly, adorable, devil in her arms), Asa (9 year old cousin) and her sister Inati (19 year old cousin)

soul matezz

fat cakes. donuts of xhosa culture.
delicious, but could use nutella in my opinion

last pic (12 hours into my disease, but freshly showered from the hotel so lookin freshhhh)


No comments:

Post a Comment