Friday, October 19, 2012

free houseee!!!!!



Last night Tori and I had the house to ourselves with the kids- Liezel and Louis were at a parenting class at their church which they were asked to teach because they literally are the Joneses (that David Duchovny/ Demi Moore movie that was so bad you didn’t even admit you saw, but I know you loved it just as much as I secretly did). So we decided to do cooking/ movie/ nail painting/ blasting Christian rap KIDS NIGHT! Although I 
Michael in his onion cutting outfit
was nervous about sharing with another friend on this trip what a controlling bitch I can be in the kitchen, Tori was so the same way so we meshed well together. I made my risotto with fresh peas and Tori roasted some chicken in the oven with baby zucchini (or marrow as their called here). Of course we made a craisin, goat cheese salad with my dressing and all was a total success. Michael was more hilarious, and kind of annoying, as ever and both him and Jana wanted to help with everyone which was great. 


The Fab Four enjoying the feast...thanks self-timer

















We had a delicious meal and talked about Jana’s boyfriend- that she is not allowed to have until next year says the parents- and just how perfect she is in general. I know I praised her last time, but justice has not been done to how phenomenal she is. Not only can she play the acoustic guitar and piano brilliantly, she can sing (of course) as well and knows a few Nickleback songs (their Christian rock so totally approved in the house-which I have no problemo with). She is also a incredible artist, and although I thought I would blow her away with my nail art skills (attempted to do some designs with a toothpick), she took my idea and ran with it until she had a Van Gogh spread across her 10 fingers. Of course my seam foam green and silver look beautiful when blended together with a slight ombre effect. Why the fuck didn’t I think of that?!?!?! After finishing watching Letters To Juliet, thank you Amanda Seyfried for making a stupider movie than I thought possible and making it so predictable I didn’t even need to watch, we baked cookies. Although we were gonna do the whole from scratch thing for our ice cream sandwiches, yesterday afternoon we went to Melissa’s and……!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh sweet Melissa. Imagine if Dean and Deluca and Le Pain Quotidien had a baby and began serving Lady M cakes. Every imported item I could have dreamed of picking up at Fairway for my risotto was there. Their signature food item is carrot cake, which they were sold out of but I am going back today and stuck with red velvet yesterday which was divine.  The packaging is better than Traders Joes- wow haven’t thought about TJ’s in a while, kind of miss that place. And they have an entire 4 tier shelf for olive oil. It was heaven and although it is raining today I will make the 15 minute walk (lets be real taxi ride) there just to sit at the communal table read Bon Appetit and enjoy another treat.
Got a bit off track there, what a surprise- back to the cookies! While at Melissa’s we found “cut and bake” cookies made by a local company, with no preservatives in the cutest packaging and decided to go that route instead of Smitten Kitchen’s perfect choco chip. They were delicious, and just as they came out, slightly undercooked- because we all agree cookie dough is far superior to actually cookies- we hit em with some homemade vanilla gelato. Bam! bAm! BAM! Fan-freaking-tastic dessert. Hit the sack, Tori and I listening to another Music from the OC cd, our nightly routine, and attempted to write something for the assignment due today- I will probably turn in this blog post.
It is a cold, rainy, day here in Stelly but on the agenda remains:
Class til 1
Lunch and “class” at a Winery this afternoon- is this real life?
Downtown for dinner tonight on our own- choosing between the famed “Dimi’s”, greek restaurant or the culinary institutes dining room called “Apprentice”
Following which Tristen is performing his slam poetry at the open mic night on campus. After which I will rush to get to the Dorp Theatre by 8 where I am beginning my ISP (oooh I have to tell you all about that- stay tuned!) by attending a Louise Carver concert, #1 female folk singer in SA.
Then hit the college bars, finalllyyyyyy! And take a trip back to high school trying to be home by curfew and get into the house without waking mom and dad.
Oh and also tomorrow morning, luck would have it that there is a Saturday critically acclaimed market in our neighborhood, that we can walk to.

Goat cheese, cranberry and candied cashew salad. Very predictable Brenna I know

Chatting and cooking. Tori and Michael

Our feast: Fresh pea risotto, broiled baby zucchini and roasted chicken. All divine



slap some ice cream in between two of these babies and you've got a mighty fine dessert.


Don’t mind me- I’ll just keep living the dream. Peace, Love and Wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment