Thursday, September 13, 2012

Leftovers


So I did not do my usual routine of writing before bed last night to post this morning when the internet and I became reunited again. Probably because we got back at 8pm (sounds early? is in fact the latest I've been out in 4 nights) and I went directly to bed. So no HUGE events to share about the past 36 hours, besides my first run-in with food poisoning/ the worst 24 hour stomach virus of my life. But its over now and I am eating toast for the rest of my time here so thats great!!!!
Last night we went to the Steve Biko memorial lecture at UCT. My first time really on UCT campus and its gorgeous- like sort of like a Ivy, but less kept up. But with beautiful views of Cape Town cause its up on a hill and has the most amazing staircase that i just want to spend hours on.
Basically I have labeled this post leftovers, cause its just a big soup pot of all my different extra thoughts of the past week- and can you believe its only been less than 2 weeks?? Thats crazy! It feels like I live here. We are finally settling into a daily routine. Waking up at 640 everyday, bus at 7, class at 930- chose, my biggest enemy- and then a day chock full of plans and classes and short breaks, until our bus takes us home. Not having control over my schedule has definitely been an adjustment, especially coming from 2 years of college where its just like- live in this bubble, make a schedule and figure the rest out for yourself! This is the opposite of that, its like camp meets high school meets Cape Town and potential crime and being the minority and being this place at this time or else red alarm! But its incredible and I wouldn't really change anything, I just need to get used to listening to plans and being places at the correct time and not being able to do what I want in the contraints of my limited free time. It is a bit of sacrifice, for tons of reward- because I got to get a 70 year old xhosa women juice last night before bed in an all black township, 20 minutes from downtown Cape Town and I never would have been able to do that had I not gotten on the bus back to Langa or woken up with the sun to get to class.
Oh! Also! I keep forgetting to share with you the craziest thing that I never even thought about! My sisi, Lindathi who is 6, is OBSESSED with my hair. I know I am Brenna, Queen of Exaggerating- but I'm not kidding I think she could spend 3 hours a day just playing with it. The other night she brushed it into a birds nest pulp and gave me a half up, half down do with my "bangs" completely covering my eyes and asked me to wear it like that to school tomorrow. Then the next day I had just come out of the shower and it was obviously wet and she asked to brush it again. She was beside herself with it. She was like "But its so dark? and straight? Yesterday it was light and curly!" and I told her that that happens everytime I wash it and it gets wet. She also did not understand if it was going to dry- she asked if it will be dry by the time I leave South Africa...in December....
Oh the things you never think about when meeting new cultures. Anyway this has just inspired me to want to know everything about the hair culture here so stay tuned...

Oh how abroad changes you!
Now off to enjoy a rainy day in downtown Cape Town. We are going to District 6, the only undeveloped neighborhood of downtown and then have the afternoon to explore a little bit!!! And there is a food market thats only on Thursday that I can go to today! AHHHHH!! WAIT FOR THAT POST TOMORROW BAYBAY!!

sobanana (see ya lata in xhosa- my favorite and only word I have memorized)

No comments:

Post a Comment