Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thinking of you 212

every year on September 11th, it is a struggle for me to accept not being home. Not being with my fellow New Yorkers. Not going to my local firehouse with my family as I did for every year until college. Not having everyone around you feel the same gravity of the day. Here in Cape Town, I am sad to say it is just another day- although it is only 2pm, there has not been one mention of the day I will never forget and remember as if it was yesterday. I'm so used to people asking me the events of that day for me and my family and my experience, that it is uncomfortably quiet for me today. It was 11 years ago to the hour that the fateful events of 9.11.2001 occured and the lives of New Yorkers, Americans and those living in the hopes that terrorism and comprable awfulness didn't exist awakened. 
Today I think of those who woke up on that Tuesday and had their lives unexpectadely changed forever. It is a reminder that anything can happen at any moment and to live every moment to the fullest. I love New York and have tremendous respect for everyone who lost a loved one or even just someone they knew on that day. It would be impossible to forget September 11th and I hope the world feels the same.

On another note this a shameless plug that today the 6th Avett Brothers studio album was released called The Carpenter and it is amazing. It is exciting and comforting to have new songs from my favorite band on earth to love and enjoy. and if Brett could fix the f***ing iTunes account I could enjoy it on the go, but in the meantime it is just me and the NPR website rocking out at Lyra's cafe and wifi hotspot here in Rondebosch, South Africa. Long live the Avett Brothers and the inspirational, honest, perfect and life-changing music they produce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment