Sunday, September 9, 2012

one week deep

I am just loving this blog these days.
Well kids we're a week in and shit is getting real. I guess we have had a few classes, not tons of clarity and organization in terms of what is class and what is orientation/ chilling. Today we got the rules (seems simple-ish, but we all know the Goldstein motto....made to be broken blah, blah, blah) and met with Shifra.
Shifra is an amazing women who basically is a mediator and is brought in to make us spill our guts and become this incredibly close fam, which she is INCREDIBLE at and I could not have enjoyed our hour together more. She is a fellow jew and is excited to have me in the group. JEW CONNECTION$$$$$ AROUND DA WORLD!
I also joined a gym (I know shocking) and did laundry (even more shocking). A changed women I am.
So enough blabbing- lets focus on the task at hand. Tomorrow is the first day of our homestay (after our 730 AM! optional, but I'm the only one who wanted the option, hike up Lion's Head of Table Mountain- still debating that one, but yes mom, I probably will go). My family consists of a women name Nozu who lives with her mother, brother and his girlfriend and 7 year old daughter (YESSS!!! I HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD SISTAAAA!) I am living in zone 7 of Langa, a township outside Cape Town. The reaction of the locals we have told we are staying in Langa have been absolute shock, it is not a place Americans visit, let alone live in. Part 1 in the cultural immersion and a base of the SIT philosophy. Of course I know it will be different, but I am really not nervous, just excited to be settled in a home and eating home cooked (hopefully not spicy or curry or pickle influenced) meals. Sunday were going to church for 3 hours- praying for some gospel!

No comments:

Post a Comment