Friday, September 21, 2012

Miss me???

I'm SO SO SO sorry for yesterday guys, but that's internet in Africa for ya. Not always there when you need to blog to you're fluctuating 40-50 followers (thanks for that by the way). However, it is a preview to whats to come because starting the 4th of October I will be beginning my rural homestay and along with many transitions and challenges, internet loss being the least of my worries as it is said we will probably share a bed with our partner and potentially family, eat things I did not think we're edible, and have non-consistent access to water, I will being taking a forced break from the blog. So prepare yourselves for that, as I prepare my suitcase with a grocery store of snacks, a pillow and as many water bottles as I can fit under the weight limit.
Back to yesterday!
 Yesterday instead of coming to class we broke up into groups of 4 and went to different high schools around Langa, our township, and Cape Town. I was assigned to Rhodes High School in Mowbray, close to UCT, with three others. At first it was just like, woah, welcome back to high school. Everyone hanging out, not listening to teachers, passing notes, texting under desks, GOOD TIMEZZZZ! But then the teacher explained to us that it was exam week and so she couldn't teach them in between tests so they just got to sit around and chill. After about 10 minutes being in the classroom, watching the teacher monitor them and continuously ask them to study for their test that was going to start in 30 minutes, I realized I was in the live version of Freedom Writers- that movie with Hilary Swank. I also noticed the one girl in the class who was actually trying to study and distracted by everyone talking and of course the one loud girl not paying attention at all and even when the tests were handed out she still tried to get other peoples attention and do anything besides study. It was quite a realization. So here it is...my public apology to all of you trying to study for those STUPID standardized tests, while I tapped my pen and laughed like a hyena in the corner being yelled at and taking up the teachers time. I'm not saying I don't do this anymore- but I have gotten ridiculously better. After the kids were deeper into their tests, Olivia and I decided to quietly dismiss ourselves from the class to go see some other things around the school. We met up with Becca and Brian in the teachers lounge and were met by the school counselor, our contact there and taken on a tour. We saw the facilites and stumbled upon the art room, full of students hanging out before their test in an hour. We sat down and were asked questions by the students, introduced ourselves and met Marianne, the teacher. DRUM ROLL PLEASE FOR MARIANNE. My new inspiration- I know I have a new one everyday, what can I say? I'm inspired easily. Anyway she gave us her life story, fashion school, married and 2 boys in late 20's, one son is a flight attendant living in Eqypt who sends her plane tickets and give her opportunity to travel. She is the most compassionate, loving, hugging teacher- all the students love her and it shows. She is a huge believer in you do not need money for art, just drive and creativity. The students in her class are currently working on a collaborative mural. They each have pieces of cardboard they are designing themselves with the outline of their bodies and then what makes them, them. A representational self portrait if you will. They will be done the end of October and she invited me to come see the finished project. I took her invitation a step further to ask what they would be doing in November, which is when I have the month free on this program to work on my ISP, independent study project. She said they would be designing t-shirts...thats right- DESIGNING T-SHIRTS! I told her I would love to come back and she said I could coordinate whatever I wanted with the counselor we had met earlier. So, yes crazy Brenna ideas are forming. But the whole day was so eye-opening and so rewarding, and so great to be independently just in this school doing what we wanted, talking to whomever for whatever amount of time we needed to talk to them for. No plans, no schedule, just living and learning.

Off to fail a xhosa quiz...Have a great day readers!
casual view of Lion's Head (what i climbed!) form the field
kinda looks like 10 things I hate about you...but no Heath unfortunetly

the classroom I observed

all done in pen, she learned how to shade with gel pens using her finger to create more range of color.

the detail in this one is breath taking. all done in a black pen. this kid is truly talented

she loves fashion too!



my personal fav. i cannot wait to see the finished product- he is going to fill in the
 "I am an African part" in a traditional print. All of this done in pen- indescribable
 
they will all be collaged together like this once completed
Marianne!
Just a perfect person...hopefully she will reappear on this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment